Hearty Quorn Chili con Carne
A traditional chilli cooked in a rich, spicy tomato sauce with red chillies, kidney beans, served with brown rice and a side dish of steamed broccoli and kale. A delicious dinner cooked up in no time and a brilliant way to get in your beans and pulses and it’s high in protein and a source of fibre – win, win! When you’re finished, don’t throw your leftovers away! Click here to try our Reinvention Test and get your taste buds excited with our Korean Sliders, using leftover Quorn chilli.
- 300g Quorn Meatless Grounds
- 1 onion
- 2 red chilies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 2 x 15ml spoons vegetable oil
- 1 x 5ml spoon chili powder, hot or mild, to your taste
- ½ x 5ml spoon smoked paprika
- 2 x 5ml spoon ground cumin
- 1 x 15ml spoon tomato puree
- 1 x 15ml spoon malt extract
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml tomato passata
- 100ml reduced salt vegetable stock
- 200g red lentils
- 200g tinned kidney beans in water
- 1 cube dark chocolate – optional
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 300g brown rice
- To serve
- 320g kale
- 320g broccoli
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Cut the chilies in half, remove the seeds and chop finely.
- Crush the garlic cloves.
- Deseed the pepper and cut into 2cm pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion for 3 -4 minutes.
- Add the chilies, garlic and red pepper and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the spices and cook for a further minute.
- Add the tomato puree and malt extract, stir well.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, passata and vegetable stock.
- Place the lentils in a sieve and rinse under cold running water then add to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to the boil then turn down to a simmer (gently bubbling) for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the Quorn Meatless Grounds, bring back to a simmer and cook for a further 8 minutes.
- Drain the kidney beans and add to the pan.
- Stir in 1 cube of dark chocolate (if using) and cook for a further 2 minutes. Taste and check the seasoning.
- Chop the coriander leaves for garnish.
For the Rice
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Use a lid to speed up the process.
- Add the rice, stir and bring back to the boil. Half cover with a lid and cook according to pack instructions.
- At the end of the cooking time, drain the rice through a sieve.
For the kale and broccoli
- Cut the broccoli into even sized florets.
- Place the broccoli and kale into a steamer and cook for 6-7 minutes or until just tender – test with a sharp knife, if it goes into the stem of the broccoli easily, it is cooked.
- Place a quarter of the rice onto each plate, top with Quorn chili and divide the broccoli and kale between the plates. Garnish with the coriander leaves and serve.
Click here to try our Reinvention Test and get your taste buds excited with our Korean Sliders, using leftover Quorn chili.